February 8, 2019

Day 24/31 of Self Love

Read this post for an explanation!

My Definition of Self Love - Learning not to hate yourself; being okay with past mistakes, but not repeating them; refusing to use current failures as fuel for self-hate and instead using them as opportunities to improve; and reminding yourself, "You are loved, you are valuable, and you are God's child."





First, can I choose who says this to me? Because I want to point out that my family and husband frequently and often tell me how much they love and appreciate me. But my anxiety says, "These people only say this because they're your family - they have to say these things. Your husband only says these words because, though he may sincerely believe it, he's a bit misguided. I mean, he married you after all! So he's obviously a little bit addled in the head." Even though I know logically it's my anxiety talking to me, I still emotionally think those lies are true. So I would prefer if this came from a close friend who is not closely related or married to me.

"I love you. I love the way you act when you are tired enough to not care what anyone thinks about you, when you are 100% comfortable in your own skin, when you walk into Hot Topic after swearing you aren't going to spend anymore money, when you get all embarrassed ordering your drink from Starbucks because you think it's too "basic," when you snatch a candy bar from the aisle and throw it into the cart hoping I won't notice. I love how you care about others, even people you'll probably never see again. I love how you are so affronted when people drive below the speed limit, but almost cry if someone honks at you. I love how you feel deeply, even if it's over something seemingly trivial, like an insect that can't fly or a bird that's fallen from its nest. I love how you're so smart but so dumb sometimes, especially about yourself. I wish you knew how much I loved you, and I wish you loved yourself half as much as I do."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for making my day!