February 2, 2019

Day 18/31 of Self Love

Read this post for an explanation!

My Definition of Self Love - Learning not to hate yourself; being okay with past mistakes, but not repeating them; refusing to use current failures as fuel for self-hate and instead using them as opportunities to improve; and reminding yourself, "You are loved, you are valuable, and you are God's child."

For a Christian, this question should be a nonstarter. Unfortunately, I think many Christians - particularly those in America - fall into the lie that a better job, a bigger house, a nicer car, or even a different church, another child, or a little more money will make them "happy." However, as I mentioned in one of my previous posts, a believer's goal in life is not to be happy.

I honestly don't know what will make me "happy" - sometimes, buying something makes me feel happy. Other times, I feel guilty. Sometimes I eat ice cream and am filled with happiness. Other times, I just feel like throwing up afterwards. Sometimes when I hang out with my friends I feel happy. Other times, I feel alone.

I can try to avoid my triggers, make plans that sound fun at the time, and indulge in things that usually fill me with delight, but ultimately I don't know whether how these things will make me feel until I am living in that moment. So instead of desperately chasing after the elusive concept of happiness, I try to enjoy life as it comes and if I end up feeling nice, then I view it as a pleasant side effect of existence. (Yes, I know in Day 12 I made a "list of things that make me feel happy to be alive," but those are generalizations without guaranteed results).

Of course, there are still things I can do to help myself feel better, physically and emotionally, such as eating healthier, keeping a clean house, going outside, and spending time with friends. I'm not trying to negate the importance of these activities, simply pointing out that even if I do all of these requirements and more, I shouldn't feel like a failure if I don't feel amazing at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for making my day!