November 15, 2016

why i left facebook

First of all, I'm not a very political person. At least, that is how it might seem - I don't post my opinions online because I hate conflict, and I also don't think that announcing my views or re-posting articles will actually benefit anyone, including myself. So during the entirety of this election, I have reminded silent.

Last Thursday, I spoke out.

I didn't really talk politics. I didn't talk about who I voted for, or whether or not it was a hard decision to make. I didn't talk about the presidential candidates, their flaws or their qualifications. I didn't really talk about the election at all.

It was a short note. I simply said that I was saddened by the negativity on social media, and I was taking a break from Facebook. I guess that's not very political at all. I promised to use the time previously spent reading statuses to spread positivity writing encouraging letters to strangers through The World Needs More Love Letters.

It's been a little less than a week now, and to be honest I haven't missed Facebook at all. The negativity and anger had been triggering my anxiety, which had prevented me from working on school. Making the decision to temporarily leave that particular social media platform is one of the best choices I have made for my mental health in a while.

And leaving letters for strangers? That has been incredible. When I first heard about the MLL movement a few weeks ago, I was immediately interested. I've only written a few letters so far, but I have enjoyed picking the perfect stationery, practicing my handwriting, and deliberating over what I could say to make a stranger's day, lift someone's spirits, and validate them for who they are - beautiful, valuable, and loved by God. 

So I suppose I wouldn't call this a "political post". This is simply my response to all the "political posts", whether they be angry, negative, sad, or celebratory - that when everyone seems so intent on stating their opinions or arguing their points, I feel that my response can't be arguing or responding back, whether I agree or disagree. My response can't be another article or another photo. My response is simply this: The world, our country, social media is full of negativity. It's full of fear and hate and despair. I can't change the world. I can't change our country. I can't change social media. But I can choose to do what is best for myself - leaving a place that is triggering my anxiety - and I can show love to others, too - by writing letters that remind people that though the world is full bad things, it is also full of love and light.

As November comes to an end to be replaced by the Christmas season, perhaps the fervor will quell. Or perhaps the fear and the anger will remain. But when this is all behind us, what will remain? Our fear or our acts of kindness? Our negativity or our attempts to remain positive? Our hate or our love?

I choose the latter. I choose love.

 photo kara.signature_zpsludd1qzl.png

1 comment:

  1. When I was younger, I was semi-addicted to Facebook but then I lost interest in it. Now, I check it once a month or so and I don't miss it at all. I agree that it's grown so negative and, quite frankly, I can't stand the site anymore. It's sad because it used to have so much potential.

    I really love the idea of writing to strangers...Thanks for the inspiration!

    Sarah || blissandliveliness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making my day!