November 7, 2016

little things

My dad doesn't have a bucket list (a list of things you want to do before you die).

He's a very practical and economical man, so I haven't heard him do much wishful thinking aloud. But occasionally I hear comments like, "I'd like to go to _______'s concert someday." Or, "One day, I'd love to visit _______." Once I asked him, "So, are those things on your bucket list?" He said no. Because he doesn't have one. 

My dad explained: if someone decides to do something on their 'bucket list' it's something they look forward to and plan for. They might save up money or count down the days But sometimes when the event finally comes, it isn't always as they hoped, resulting in disappointment and disillusionment. After recovering from one disappointment, they moves onto the next, only to be let down once more.

I don't think keeping a bucket list is wrong... in fact, I have one. But I've come to realize that life isn't about living from one thrill to the next, leaping from emotional highs to plunge to depressing lows. Yes, sometimes we get "highs" - emotional cloud nines from winning a victory, hearing good news, achieving a goal, or even watching a cute romantic comedy movie. Sometimes Christians experience spiritual utopias - being temporarily excited to live for God, share one's faith, or change one's lifestyle. Though none of these are necessarily wrong, life isn't about being addicted to the highs. God doesn't want our lives to be existences filled with disappointment when our euphoria fades and reality returns. God wants us to be able to have joy in Him at all times.

For me, part of finding that joy again has been delighting in the little things of life. Sometimes I am as easily amused as a small child. For me, the little pleasures of life include...

- looking at videos of hedgehogs
- ...or baby sloths.
- "making" an icee at the gas station where the colors don't mix together
- successfully memorizing an order of one of my "regular" customers
- discovering a new drink at Starbucks
- receiving good morning texts from my boyfriend
- achieving a goal
- receiving a personal letter in the mail
- looking at cute stuffed animals
- discovering new acoustic music
- watching a good movie
- finding a funny meme online
- listening to my favorite band or artist's latest single
- learning to play a new song on the piano (and play it well)
- drawing kawaii food
- finding the "perfect" gift for a friend
- driving home from work with my favorite music and the windows down

...and so many more. I may never see the Eiffel Tower in person, learn how to polka, meet Josh Groban, knit a pair of gloves, or perform in another musical, but I can enjoy the small pleasures in life just as much. 

 photo kara.signature_zpsludd1qzl.png

2 comments:

  1. I'm a huge believer in the little things. Because it's little things that make up most of our lives. I love your list. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making my day!