December 5, 2017

twelve days of love

Hello, dear friends!

Twelve Days of Letter Writing...
 
I just wanted to share an amazing opportunity with you. Last fall, I learned about an organization called, "The World Needs More Love Letters." Their mission is to "make love famous" by writing positive and encouraging notes to strangers. Each month, new letter requests are posted on their website. These requests are stories of people who are in need of love and encouragement. From December 4-15, TWNMLL is doing something special - they are featuring 12 nominees over the course of 12 days! If you would like, you can check out their website (click here) and learn more about this awesome movement, learn how to write a love letter, and read some testimonials of people who have received bundles of letters! 

I would also love to share a few reasons why TWNMLL is so near and dear to my heart.

I Love TWNMLL Because...
 
First of all, I have always loved letter writing! There is something special about taking the time to hand write (or type) a letter to someone that a text or e-mail could never replace. Plus, writing letters gives me a chance to use some of my stationery and washi tape... I think my hubby finds my collection a little excessive. :)

Secondly, I struggle with anxiety and depression. Even though I love being around other people, sometimes I'm not up for going out or inviting someone over. Other times, my social anxiety gets the best of me, and I just don't want to leave the house. Writing love letters gives me a chance to connect with people without feeling like I'm "bothering" anyone. Plus, whenever I am feeling down, I have discovered that oftentimes, showing love to someone else helps me to stop thinking about myself and more about others.

Lastly, I have seen first-hand how amazing receiving a love letter bundle can be! Earlier this year, I nominated one of my friends for a love letter bundle, and my friend was chosen! I was the facilitator for the love letter bundle, which meant I received all the letters, read through them, and was given the opportunity to present them to my friend! Watching love show up on my doorstep (or in my mailbox) is something I will never forget. Beautiful letters poured in - people sharing their stories, their vulnerabilities, and their hearts. I was able to see how just one person - one letter writer! - can encourage someone and how working together can create such a powerful movement. People truly showed up for my friend and me, and that was truly something incredible. In our fast-paced world where everyone is always so busy and it seems like there is always something depressing or sad in the news, it was truly refreshing to see how a piece of paper and a few words, something so simple, could be so powerful.

It's Your Turn!
 
I think it is often easy to grow weary in doing good. As I am preparing for a life of ministry (my husband is studying to become a pastor at the moment), I think that often we can get so caught up in doing big things that we forget that small things - paying it forward, holding the door for someone, being kind to someone you don't know, or even writing a letter to a stranger - can change the world, too. Being a part of the More Love Letters community has helped me in more ways than I can describe - it has taught me that when you do something kind for someone, even something little, it makes a difference!

In the busyness of this holiday season, I challenge you to stop for a few minutes. Put aside thoughts of the gifts you need to buy, your list of things to do, your treats you need to bake. For just a few minutes, take out a pen (or open a Word document) and write a message of love and encouragement. Your words do not have to be eloquent; your message does not have to be long. I ask only that in your letter, however long, short, messy, beautiful, artistic, plain... I ask only that you LOVE. After all, isn't love what Christmas is all about? We have been given the best gift ever - eternal life and a relationship with a loving God! This might be a chance for you to pass a little of that love on.

If you would like to join me in the 12 Days of Love Letter Writing, check out today's request below!

December 5
 
PATTY & MEREDITH

Patty and Meredith are a mother/daughter duo in need of encouragement + love as they face memories of loss during this holiday season. Their friend shared their story with us:

"I have been friends with Meredith since first grade - for fourteen years now. Meredith hasn't had the easiest life. In first grade, her sister died. Even though a tragedy like this has the power to destroy any family, Meredith and her parents - John and Patty - became closer than ever. I was always struck with the amount of joy and love that they were able to have and I thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with this beautiful family.

Our junior year of high school, tragedy struck again. Meredith's dad, John, was diagnosed with glioblastoma - a brain cancer. This was devastating, but their family still stayed strong and didn't let it get in the way of their love for each other. However, last year John died a week before Thanksgiving and near Patty's birthday. In his last moments, Meredith played his favorite song on the violin and he went peacefully. Although John is gone, he is always with us in Meredith. Her snarky demeanor and humor is all John, and I'm sure he is more proud of her than words can describe. John always taught Meredith to be a kind woman, and to go through life living it to the fullest. I would love to give Meredith and Patty the gift of words, and not just my own. The holidays are coming up and I know there are some dark days to come for them."

Please join us as we write Patty + Meredith and let them know that they are not alone.

PLEASE MAIL ALL LOVE LETTERS BY DECEMBER 20 TO:
 
Meredith and Patty's Bundle
c/o Isabella J.
915 W 23rd St
Austin, TX  78705
USA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for making my day!